From:
Rick Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:49:44 EST
Thanks Dan for another attempt at why.  You said fructose and glucose is
"dry".  Is this a scientific term?  What do you mean by "dry"?  The research
refers to fructose and glucose being more stable, which presumably means that
they are less likely to breakdown as sucrose does.  Plants for some reason
yield sucrose but the bees convert it into two smaller sugars. One
chemist-beekeeper suggested that two sugar molecules replacing the one
sucrose molecule causes the ripening honey to be more concentrated which
helps prevent spoilage.  Hopefully we can understand this and not throw our
hands up and call it god's way.  I too am amazed at the intricacies of what
the honey bees do.