From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:10:54 -0400
Bill Truesdell said "Why not an Eastern Co-op that combines the whole and
sells blueberry, orange. tupelo, raspberry etc. honeys under a single
label?"

Last Fall, at the Empire State Honey Producer's meeting, I learned that
Cornell has experts on establishing and managing agriculture coops.  I
should not have been surprised, but I was.  Of course, given the way things
are today they suggest that conditions are right for a co-op.  They also
suggested that it would take $50,000 or so to prepare a feasibility study
and then another fairly large amount for seed money.  I gather that some
federal matching or other funds are available.

As always, such an effort would need a strong-willed person or two for
organization, solicitation of funds, etc.  I gather that longer term the
greatest challenge would not be getting start-up money as much as getting
producers to commit to supplying the co-op with their honey!  (This was also
surprising, but after reflection makes sense.  Large producers have outlets
today for their honey...otherwise, they would not be large producers.  They
would be asked to sell to the co-op who, presumably, would sell to their
present customers (among others).  The large producers would have to be
convinced that such action was in their best interest.)

I know people who produce and sell some 150-200 tons a year.  None of this
goes to packers.  An Eastern co-op would need people like this to supply
honey...but what would it take to convince them to sell to the co-op?

I'd sure like to be a part of an Eastern co-op, and would be willing to work
and invest for such an outcome.  Unfortunately, I am no longer of an age to
take a leadership role.

BTW, SueBee imports thousands of tons of honey, effectively keeping our
domestic honey prices down.  They do so under the premise that "if we don't,
someone else will and we will lose market share".  A classic chicken and egg
story that is really hurting SueBee members and the US honey industry in
general.  However, the SueBee premise may well be correct and, as big as
they are, it would be a very serious gamble for them to do otherwise.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com