From:
Michael Housel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 11:41:38 EST
I hand move bees small truck at a time.  Smoking and loading as described in
other emails.  The fun came when I left one hive needing repairs and was very
heavy. I had a truck full and left it.  I moved the bees during the May time
which is an average temperature above the brood temperature inside the hive.
I left bees in the air at the site (I think they stayed out over night).
When I went back to pick the hive up the outside walls were covered inches
deep in bees.  I suited and smoked.  I smoked again and they still where on
the outside.  At this point they started to go into the air and on the suit.
I tried to pick them up killing some under my hands.  Two suppers on the
truck and two brood boxes to go.  At this time there was five or ten inside
the veil.  Took some stings on the face. Left the hive and walked away trying
to get composure to finish this half way job.  My daughter (inside the truck)
was laughing cause I was doing the Hawaiian Slap dance going out over the
field.  By this time my suit was peppered with stings.  I went back again
grabbed the top brood box and got it to the truck.  I got stung on the end of
the nose-eyes went glossy-nose started running and I was in trouble.  I kept
moving with blurring sight and a brush to remove the bees.  My nose swelled
and I got to play the red nose reindeer for a few days. I carry an empty box
with me so I don't have to hug the hives that are too full to get all the
bees inside. I don't leave a hive behind to get the rest of the bees anymore,
either.