From:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:03:55 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Musashi"
greetings,  l wouldn't eat it, especially after so many years of poor
storage. The HMF content would be extremely high. I am not sure want that
does to you if you eat it, but it is one of the few ways of checking the
quality of honey. Here in Canada the limit of Hydroxymethylfurfural is
40mg/kg, in other countries it is a lot less.
Peter
:
> 1)  If I have some old dark honey (say 25 years old) that was dark to
begin
> with but is now darker, that was stored in a sealed container and kept
from
> moisture, but was stored in a climate that has hot summers and it was not
kept
> in an air conditioned environment, how safe is it for a human (me) to eat?
> 2)  If it is at all unsafe for human consumption, what is the component
> (chemical in it) that causes the problems, and what problems does it
cause?