From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:11:23 -0600
There would be a worldwide shortage of honey if North Americans (not to mention
the rest of the world) simply used one kg of honey each a year.  People on
average eat very little honey, but if I remember correctly, they eat 100 pounds
plus of sugar annually.

A lot of sugar is used in beverages.

* Imagine if someone decided to promote a sports drink based on honey -- and
used honey only as the sweetener -- and the drink became popular!

* Think of the amount of beer and wine that people consume.  A mere 1% of that
market going over to  mead -- which in my opinion can be a superior beverage --
would create shortages.

But the real sleeper product IMO, is PANCAKE SYRUP.  Pancake syrup outsells
honey in every store every day, yet a very nice pancake syrup -- better than any
I've tasted -- can be made by watering down pure honey to the right consistency.

Why we do not promote these products is beyond me.  We have time and energy to
spent infighting, cutting prices, denigrating the other beekeeper's product and
trying to block international trade, but we don't have the time and energy to
strongly promote these honey uses.

What is the matter with us?

allen

PS If you are going to make some syrup -- and I suggest you do (and report back
to me if you don't think it is GREAT! -- remember that honey syrup must be
pasteurised or have sodium benzoate or sorbate added to prevent fermentation if
it is to be stored for long unrefrigerated or to be distributed commercially.