From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:43:45 -0500
Ron Chaplin  wrote:

>Anyhow, I was in Tower last Saturday, happily blowing some money my
>wonderful wife gave me for my birthday (which happens to be today, same day
>as Boris Yeltsin (oh well), I learned that the Classical Annex, after some
>waffling (SP?) by the management (imagine that!) is to be scaled back 40%
>to make room for videos. ...
>
>...  Oh, well.  I guess it's the clubs and Borders.
>
>[Let's see.  In a time of increased competition, you raise your prices
>and reduce your service.  Business falls off and you have to close or
>scale back your offerings.  Who would have thought? ...  Excellent
>business model they have going there....  -Dave]

Ron Chapin's message about the decline of yet another Tower is sad news
indeed.  The hell of it is, as Dave Lampson points out, that high prices,
reduced service, and increased competition will erode classical sales
at Tower still further, thus reinforcing dumb management's mantra that
"classical music doesn't sell." That manager is probably congratulating
herself right now on her power of prophecy.

Schwartzo (temporarily de-lurked)