From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:28:01 EST
Ian Crisp writes:

>D. Stephen Heersink catalogued his collection for us and declared:
>
>>...and I still don't like Brahms' symphonies.
>
>Nor do I, and I've been trying - I have, really - ever since we last had a
>not-getting-on-with-Brahms thread over a year ago.  Still can't get there.
>I have no trouble with the concerti, the German Requiem, most of the
>chamber music, lots of other things - but I've just never been able to get
>the symphonies to work for me.  And what's worst is that I can't work out
>why not.

While I do not dislike Brahms Symphonies, I have concluded that the real
gems out of Brahms output are to be found in his chamber works.  Usually I
tend to listen to more orchestral music but when it comes to Brahms, I find
that it is the chamber and vocal works that really work for me.  However,
my favorite recordings of the Symphonies:

1. HVK - The Originals recording.
2. Skrowaszewski (OOP in the States)
3. Muti
4. Skrowaszewski (the 4th movement is really heavy, like an army of Panzer
tanks crawling towards you - great stuff)

I also have the #1 & #2 from Kertesz's set recently reissued by London and
like it as well.  I keep meaning to pick up #3 & #4 to complete the set.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)