From:
Son Lieu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 22:00:04 +0200
If you have not heard other Korngold, you are denying your ears of supreme
elation.  He is by far a definite favorite of mine and his output is sadly
not as generous as you would expect from a prodigy.

I guess you've heard the violin concerto.  Any recording is good, even the
Korngold/Goldmark combination on Naxos.

His greatest opera is Die Tote Stadt, which is also available on Naxos but
if you want the best, go after the Leinsdorf version on RCA at mid price.
This opera features Marietta's Lied which is by far one of the most
glorious melodies of all operas.

Then there are other operas.  They may not have moments as radiant
Marietta's Lied but the endless flow of opulent orchestration will
overwhelm you.  Korngold is a composer who has never failed me.  I like
everything he has created.

Start with Die Tote Stadt and tell me what you think.  The openning bars
are simply divine.  More recommendations to come...

Son Lieu