From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:15:03 -0500
Mark Shanks replies to Ed Zubrow's query about the Mahler 8th:

>Segerstam on Chandos is the only recording that I know of where the
>performance and recording live up to the potential of this work

I strongly second this recommendation.  I also suggest the Mitropoulos
performance, though the sound is less than ideal.  BTW, I have listened to
the BBC Legends Horenstein several times now, and just don't understand
what all the fuss is about.

In the end though, this is one you'll have to hear live (like 2) in order
to really grasp its scope.

len.