From:
Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:00:57 -0400
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Raises the question: what is the difference in payoff between
listening to (and buying) Fibich's symphonies, and another listen to
>Schubert, or Mozart, or Beethoven, or Stravinsky, or even Ives or Carter?
>Granted all the time we have left in this life is finite (some is more
>finite than others!) do we go for breadth of experience or for greater
>depth into the unfathomable greatness of genius? Is time spent listening to
>Fibich better spent listening to the other masters? Has Fibich ALREADY been
>tested in the crucible of critical opinion (and found wanting) and so we
>have no need to listen? Or is it time for a reassessment? Or does listening
>to Fibich give us new perspectives into composers who loom larger in the
>"greatness" category?

I don't even know where to begin with all these general questions, but I
can say that I have enjoyed all of the Fibich I have heard very much.  I
don't think anyone needs to make any excuses for listening to his music.

I think we are often guilty of not admitting the existence of a category of
quality between 'genius' and 'mediocre'.  There's a lot of very good music
around that is not written by one of the top fifty (say) composers of all
time.

Dan Schmidt -> [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]