From:
"William J. Karzas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 03:45:49 -0700
Chris Bonds wrote:

>In the 60s I bought an Angel LP of late Beethoven piano sonatas perf.  by
>George Solchany.  I have never seen any other recordings by him, nor have
>I seen another copy of this LP.  It was my introduction to these works and
>I liked it a lot.  Does anyone have any information about this artist and
>current availability of recordings?

An old (1982) editiom of Alain Paris' "Dictionnaire des Interpretes" gives
the following info on Georges Solchany:

Hungarian pianist, born in Budapest13 September 1922, naturalized French
citizen 1967.  He studied at the Budapest conservatory until 1940, then
took Ernst von Dohnanyi's master class at the Franz Liszt Academy from
1941-1943.  He won, in 1942, the Grand Prix Liszt.  He moved to Paris in
Nivember 1946 and started a brilliant international career.  In 1952 he
was awarded the 1st Grand Prix in the Alfredo Casella international
competition.

He devoted himself especially to chamber music, and partnered David
Oistrakh, Leonid Kogan, the Vegh and Hungarian quartets, and was pianist of
the Hungarian Trio.

Neither the Scwann 1996 Artist catalog nor the 1996 Gramophone Classical
Catalogue list any available (then) CD's for him.

Regards,

Bill Karzas                     [log in to unmask]