From:
Zack Winestine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 00:18:26 -0500
Can anyone out there give me any information about the Russian Pianist
Yakov Zak? I understand that during the 1950's (when he was not heard
outside of the USSR) there were rumors that he was the equal of Richter,
and that he did finally perform some concerts in the US in the (early?)
1960's.  I have a dynamite recording of his performance of the Prokofiev
2nd Piano Concerto (a mono recording with Kurt Sanderling conducting the
USSR State Radio Orchestra released on LP by Artia).

Whatever happened to him?  And are there any other recordings of his
performances?

Thanks for any help!

Zack