From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:21:35 -0800
Joel Hill ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Concerning Mahler 6...
>
>What seems to be the issue with this work? I don't know it at all.  If I
>were only going to be there to enjoy it, I would like for the last mvt of
>Mahler's 3rd to be played at my funeral.  (This is NOT an announcement!)

As I slightly tongue-in-cheekly remarked earlier:  if M5 is a journey
from darkness to light, M6 is a journey from darkness to total blackness.

Three of the four movements in minor key; the only sonata form first
movement Mahler ever wrote; an unremittingly bleak ending (the most
desolate in all music according to Christopher Breunig).

Rush out and buy Barbirolli's recording.  Listen to it and report back.
You'll understand what "the issue" is then alright.

Deryk Barker