From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:53:47 -0500
Ulvi Yurtsever writes:

>... the critic should keep it in mind when a piece or a composer doesn't
>appeal to him that it is possible, and sometimes highly probable, that the
>cause lies with the critic and not with the composer or the work

Bingo!  I have been led by much recent nitpicking criticism (not only in
this forum) to conclude that most critics assume that they are perfect
listeners, that only the composer or interpretor can have faults, and that
their personal conception of a work is "definitive".  Like religions, they
tacitly tolerate the contradictory existence of other perspectives, while
loudly, if implicitly, asserting their own primacy.

len.