From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:49:47 -0500
Among my Berkshire finds was the following "filler" on a CD containing
Gliere's Second Symphony.  It was a Concerto for Coloratura Soprano and
orchestra.  Evgenia Miroshnichenko was the soprano and Mark Ermler
conducted the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra on Consonance 81-3002.  It's in
two movements, a little over thirteen minutes in length and I wish I could
describe them better than to say that the first movement is serious and the
second, light hearted.  It's not at all like Rachmaninoff's Vocalise.  The
instrumental start to the first movement seems to me similar to the start
of some familiar Shostakovich work that I can't place (actually it also
reminds me a bit of Wagner; go figger) the vocal line seems sui generis to
me, but as beautiful as the Villa Lobos *Bacchiana Brasileira* that Bidu
Sayao sang so marvelously.  The second movement sounds like a passage from
some light opera or operetta.

Does anybody else reading this know the work?

Walter Meyer