From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:55:26 -0800
Krzysztof Lorentz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>William Copper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>It is the MUSIC, not the performance, that brings fascination and discovery
>
>Re-opening an old discussion...  William's opinion seems typical for
>composers.  Mine is quite opposite ...

I think it's a bit in between...  the highest potential a piece can achieve
*is* in the score...  but as far as recordings, it takes more than just a
technically competent performer to reveal it...  (sometimes a performer of
outsize personality or technique can boost a banal piece a bit, but only
so much)

One instance...  Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez...  an amazingly
melodic and evocative piece from the moment I first heard it on the Decca
Bonnell/Dutoit recording...  and later to hear a certain budget label
recording (not Naxos) that made it sound like mariachi...  if I'd heard
that one first...:-P

Albie