From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 01:28:55 +0000
Arch De Silva asks:

>P.S.  How about CDs you ordered multiple copies of because you forgot
>what you already owned?

That's happened with me twice over the years, probably a fairly low number
considering the many cd's I buy.  Now that I have perfected my musical
preferences and greatly narrowed the *type* of music I buy, I could hit
multiples more often as I'm forgetting what Mozart or Beethoven or Mahler
I own.  I haven't listened to anything by Mozart for over a year now, and
my memory of exactly what Mozart discs I have is fading fast.  Actually,
that's fine; I'm enjoying music more now than ever - much more.  The
baroque organ route is a dream come true.

Recently, I did buy a 'multiple' but it wasn't entirely my fault.
CDNOW advertised a reissue on Teldec of Gustav Leonhardt performing
Bach's Goldberg Variations on the organ.  That sounded good so I ordered
it, received it, and discovered it was on harpsichord.  It's the same
Leonhardt/Teldec recording I am currently reviewing.  I should have thought
some before assuming Teldec had a Leonhardt Goldbergs on organ; the company
should have advertised the instrument correctly.

A tense situation did evolve later the same day that I received the
Leonhardt disc.  My daugher came over, and I gave it to her.  She mentioned
that she already had the Schepkin Goldbergs from me.  My wife, Ellen Jane,
heard these remarks and shot me a killer stare.  I responded by saying that
our daughter had five Brandenburgs that I gave her.  When our daughter
departed, and she left real fast, Ellen Jane read me the riot act about
extending my acquisition habits to loved ones.  She particularly didn't
like what I said about the Brandenburgs.  Now that I think of it, it was
a dumb and confrontational sentence not likely to add to the evening's
pleasures - or the next day's either.

Don Satz