From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:01:34 +0000
William Boletta asked for recommendations among these three complete Bach
editions:  Hanssler, Teldec, and Brilliant Classics.

There's nothing clear-cut about this.  The Hanssler has the 'newer'
recordings with the choral works on modern instruments, although Rilling
does display an awareness of historical accuracy.  Personally, I like
Rilling's performances.  However, I think that the gems of the edition are
the solo harpsichord and organ discs - great artists such as Hill, Levin,
Aldwell, and Marcon.

The Teldec is a combination of older and new recordings.  The choral works
are on period instruments, and the artists are certainly in the first rank.

The Brilliant edition is a hodge-podge.  Choral works are suspect in
performance quality.  Solo works are a mixed bag.  All the organ discs,
seventeen, come from Hans Fagius, and I can't say that Fagius is among
the best.  However, the price of the edition is dirt-cheap.

If one is determined to buy a complete edition, I would recommend the
Hanssler primarily for the solo harpsichord and organ discs.  But my best
suggestion is not to get anyone's complete edition; I don't see how any
of the three could possibly be fully satisfying.

Don Satz