From:
Richard Tsuyuki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:03:42 -0400
Steve Schwartz writes:

>One other reason for Mozart's, Beethoven's, and Tchaikovsky's success
>(other than their merit, of course) is that, like popular music, they are
>repeatedly played.  You might argue that they are repeatedly played because
>they are popular, but this argument doesn't cut much ice.  You can't tell
>me that the world was waiting for, eg, Britney Spears or Terry Jacks.

So why are Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Britney Spears, etc., repeatedly played?
The conversation I was trying to start was an examination of why these, and
not others, are popular.  My own suggestion pertained to popular music and
catchy tunes.  Some might argue that these individuals are considered by
"experts" to be the "best" (whatever that means).  Maybe it's historical
circumstance.  Even if it's "averaged" tastes, there must some reason(s)
why those particular individuals are "average." Rather than advocating or
denigrating the Received Canon, my approach is to ask why the RC is what it
is.  If you know the criteria for inclusion, you can then decide whether
they match with your personal inclinations (so, if you think they are "the
Best", or if they're full of catchy tunes and you like catchy tunes, go
with the RC; if it's historical happenstance, or if it's catchy tunes and
you disdain catchy tunes, drop the RC).

>What I've advocated is to find out what your taste is.  If it includes this
>mythical Received Canon or large parts of it, fine.  If it excludes the RC
>or most of it, also fine.
>
>The idea of "sides" in this matter bothers me.  People tend to talk as if
>one likes the RC or doesn't, whereas it's not a case of exclusion.

I think the perception of "sides" in this thread comes from the original
argument, which was whether the RC, rather than a list of modern music
recommendations from a book, is the best *starting point for a CM
beginner*.  I don't think anyone has said that one must like only the RC,
or nothing in the RC.  But I agree that whether something is or is not in
the RC is largely irrelevant to my personal taste.  It has, on the other
hand, provided some avenues for exploration that I might have otherwise not
tried.  And then, some of us just like lists.

Richard Tsuyuki
Virginia, USA