From:
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:25:29 -0800
Stirling Newberry writes:

>...  The problem is that this talent is not attached to any great insight
>into music.  He can thus keep orchestras together through very difficult
>pieces, but he does not seem to be able to often deliver the depth of the
>music.

I certainly agree with that; Osawa was conductor of the San Francisco
Symphony in the 70s, and I heard him a good deal then.  He was never
anything but efficient, but it all seemed to be surface.  He was
particularly awful conducting Mozart: he seemed to have no interest
at all, and the music sounded like tinkling syrup.

There was one time, though, when he was fully engaged: a performance of
the Liebestod from Tristan, with Jessye Norman doing the vocal.  It was one
of those magical occasions when singer, orchestra and conductor were truly
inspired.  At the end Osawa clasped Norman's hand and kissed it - and I saw
his eyes were full of tears.  It was most surprising to see this impassive
man so moved.

Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
California, USA