From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:47:52 -0400
My $.02 worth would be to start with the basics, as Deryk suggested...
Even with the 3 B's -- Bach, Beethoven and Brahms.  I believe there are
very few (if any) *bad* works among the recorded ones from these guys.
Try Bruno Walter's Brahms or Beethoven symphonies.  Try Bach's Orchestral
Suites, Brandenburg Concertos, Vioin Concertos.

Also, try some of Wagner's instrumental music.  My very first love was the
overture to Tannhauser (conducted by Knappersbusch, but there are many fine
recordings!)

Also, listen on your computer to:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/ and begin
to see what you like and don't like.  They tend to mix contemporary with
the "classics", and they have many live performances as well.

Also, try BBC 3's "Building A Classical Library" at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/building/index.shtml .  Also, in the US, NPR's
Performance Today has a "Basic Record Library" site at:
http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/library/weekly_cd/index.html

This should get you well started.  And GO TO CONCERTS!  I envy anyone who
has yet to hear Mahler -- Brahms -- Richard Strauss...  On record or
live...  Have a blast!

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com/