From:
Paula Bannerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:31:52 -0400
Peggy Lucero wrote:

>Hello, I'm attempting to start building a CD collection of classical
>greats.  I've begun to get educated.  ...  If you are able to comment on
>this or recommend another book I need to read, etc.  any of your thoughts
>and help is most appreciated.

My recommondation would be to love the music you buy.  Taking suggestions
from a book is fine, but have a listen yourself before purchase.  A
classical music collection, I believe, should reflect your personal tastes.
Certain particular works may come highly recommended, but you may not care
for them personally.  Its like when one begins to drink wine seriously; you
experiment.  Eventually you develope your own unique preferences' and in
time a collection is born.  A homologous collection devoid of personal
character is boring.  I once purchased a recording at a flea market for
$10....Schuberts Wander-Fantasie op15 - Conducted by Alfred Scholz
w/Philharm.  Orchester Bamberg.  Neither my friend Jennifer or I where
familiar with the work, but it now remains one of my "little gems".

Which is another quality of a good collection - the collections mandate.
What does the collection reflect?

Listening to a good classical music station, like CBC 2 in Canada, helps
Alot as well.  Many of my purchases have been inspired by works I've
heard on that station.  My girlfriend is a Pianist, she has her Teachers
certificate with the Royal Conservatory here in Canada and is now working
towards the final qualification with RCC - her performers.  Her collection
is immense - she has around 2000 Classical pieces (I know cause we counted
them when we re-organized her entire collection).  She for instances has a
very strong bent for Piano of the Romantic period, and as such she has a
strong collection of Chopin, Schubert, Schumann, Beethoven of course etc.

I myself tend towards purchasing works which feature certain performers
and/or orchestras.  I love strong vocal works, string instruments and
historically significant pieces.  My concentration lately has been to build
a stronger Jazz collection though <G>....so classical purchases have taken
a sideline somewhat.

Good luck though Peggy and enjoy yourself.  Building a good collection can
be a great passion and very beneficial on long, cold winter nights.

Paula Bannerman - [log in to unmask]
http://www.odyssey.on.ca/~pbannerman