From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:43:45 -0400
Bob Summers was asking about cataloguing software.  I have no solutions,
but do have a related query.

I gather that some CD burning software (e.g., Nero) sends to some internet
site the codes on (most mainstream) CDs to be 'burned,' retrieving in
return all the CD's key particulars: its label and numbers, composer,
conductor and other performers, track numbers and even tempo indications.
While the download takes place behind the scenes, the codes on the
'burning' software end up stamped into the blank CD, along with the music.
Then, I understand, one's CD-Rom software can display that information
during playback.

This has obvious advantages for the neophyte cataloguer, especially lazy
ones: the donkey work of typing in all those particulars is eliminated.

Question: Does any CD-cataloguing software make use of this web
information system to download relevant CD data?

Thanks in advance.

Bert Bailey