From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:34:05 -0400
COMING UP ON PERFORMANCE TODAY AUGUST 25 - AUGUST 31, 2001

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
BILL MORELOCK IS HOST

Saturday, AUGUST 25

Hour 1 -- In the mood for chamber music:  We'll hear the Vermeer Quartet
play the teenaged Schubert's Quartet in B-flat, in Chicago.  Also, the
American Brass Quintet brings a bit of the French Renaissance to South
Carolina with songs by Josquin Desprez.  And the Sylvan Winds blow through
Jacques Ibert's "Three Short Pieces" on Cape Cod.

Hour 2 -- The soulful and beguiling sound of the cello:  We'll eavesdrop on
two masters of the cello-- Lynn Harrell and Janos Starker....both on the
road in Portland, Oregon.  Along the way, we'll hear the exquisite Cello
Concerto by Antonin Dvorak.

Sunday, AUGUST 26

Hour 1 -- Getting a handle on Handel:  Conductor Christopher Seaman brings
the Thames River to the Wyoming Rockies with a performance of Handel's
"Water Music" at the Grand Teton Music Festival.  And the ensemble Rebel
performs Handel's Trio Sonata, Op.  5, No.  4, and two pieces by Henry
Purcell from a concert in Mt.  Kisco, New York.

Hour 2 -- Mozart in Baltimore:  We'll hear Mozart's Piano Concerto No.  20
in D minor.  Ivan Moravec plays the solo part and Libor Pesek conducts the
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra in Baltimore's Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall.

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, AUGUST 27

Hour 1 -- Roberto Plano in NPR's Studio 4A -- Join us for a perf-chat with
the 2001 winner of the Cleveland International Piano Competition.  Italian
pianist Roberto Plano will soon head out for a champion's international
tour, but one of his first stops is at NPR's Studio 4A with Fred Child.
He'll perform selections from Brahms' Op.  118, Scriabin's unusual
Sonata-Fantasy No.  2 in G-sharp minor, and Scarlatti's Sonata in B minor
K.  197.

Hour 2 -- Festival hopping with Mozart:  From the Grand Teton Music
Festival in Wyoming, we'll hear Orli Shaham perform Mozart's Piano Concerto
No.  24 in C minor, K.  491, with the festival orchestra and conductor
Christopher Seaman.  We'll also head over to the Bridgehampton Chamber
Music Festival on Long Island for Mozart's Divertimento in D for Strings,
K.  136.

Tuesday, AUGUST 28

Hour 1 -- Remembering Golub:  Pianist David Golub, of the Golub-Kaplan-Carr
Trio, died battling cancer last year at the age of 50.  During a quiet
moment at this year's SummerFest La Jolla, in California, Fred and composer
Bruce Adolphe remember Golub by listening to a concert performance Golub
gave of a Schubert Impromptu.  Adolphe will also play a composition of is
own written in memory of David Golub.

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with perfect pitch:  There have been many
recent medical studies on perfect pitch and questions raised concerning
the definition of perfect pitch, who's got it and how.  Commentator Miles
Hoffman joins Fred to come to terms with the concept of perfect pitch from
a musician's point of view.

Wednesday, AUGUST 29

Hour 1 -- What Makes Janacek So Great?:  Pianist, composer and conductor
Robert Kapilow joins Fred at the Studio 4A piano to uncover what makes
Czech composer Leos Janacek so great.  He'll zero in on Janacek's String
Quartet No.  2, "Intimate Letters."

Hour 2 -- Musical offerings:  We'll hear a sampling of music performed in
concert.

Thursday, AUGUST 30

Hour 1 -- Emma Kirkby on Gloria:  Fred talks to Soprano Emma Kirkby about
how she was introduced to the newly discovered "Gloria" by George Frideric
Handel.  She explains how she was called in to record the "darling little
piece" and we'll hear Kirkby perform the Gloria from the world premiere
recording (BIS 1235).

Hour 2 -- Basic Peer Gynt:  Music by Edvard Grieg takes Fred back to his
childhood, remembering the sounds of one of the first records he recalls
spinning at home-- Grieg's lovely "Peer Gynt." PT Basic Record Library
Curator Ted Libbey jogs Fred's memory with a few of recommendations of the
best recordings of Grieg's piece.

Friday, AUGUST 31

Hour 1 -- An hour with the "Girl Gershwin:" Ever heard of composer and
pianist Dana Suesse? If you haven't, allow pianist Lara Downes to introduce
you to the woman who was often compared to George Gershwin.  Fred talks
with Lara Downes about how she came to know Dana Suesse and we'll hear
Downes perform her music.  We'll hear the Scherzette-"Whirligig," "Cocktail
Suite," American Nocturne and pieces from Downes' album "American Ballads"
(Arkadia 7720022).

Hour 2 -- A sampler of recent concert performances
from around the county.

CHECK OUT THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE!!:  Jan Swafford offers a
thoughtful commentary on the music of Debussy...Fred Child's diaries from
SummerFest La Jolla...Check out the new NPR series--"In Rehearsal"...Find
out what makes Gershwin's "Summertime so great....  Listen to a PT
exclusive interview with Gian Carlo Menotti....Get up-to-date with the PT
Basic Record Library...  Come to terms with Encores...  Order your copy of
"Peter and the Wolf:  A Special Report." You'll find it all at
http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/.

**PLEASE DIRECT ALL INQUIRIES TO [log in to unmask]**

NOTE:  SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>