From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:15:00 -0400
Dear Listeners, Fred Child hits the road this week, as PT's coverage of the
summer festival season kicks into high gear.  Over the next six weeks Fred
will visit the Aspen Festival, SummerFest La Jolla, and Tanglewood.  This
week he'll be at the Grand Teton Music Festival in western Wyoming, sending
back special reports and introducing great performances from the festival.
He'll also participate long distance in next Monday's drawing for the
winner of our Midsummer Music Contest.  You have until Thursday to enter.
On Wednesday, be sure to tune in for our Fourth of July show, featuring
American songs sung in our studios by the men of Hudson Shad.

Happy Independence Day!

Don Lee
Executive Producer

COMING UP ON PERFORMANCE TODAY JULY 2 - JULY 6, 2001

Monday, JULY 2

Hour 1 -- Menotti at 90: Later this week, composer Gian Carlo Menotti will
celebrate his 90th birthday.  Fred talks to Menotti about his life and
musical legacy.

Hour 2 -- Midsummer Music Contest all-request hour: This hour we'll give
our contest entrants a chance to hear their favorite summer music pieces on
PT.  Hundreds of entries have been submitted for the First Prize trip to
the Grand Teton Music Festival next summer.  If you haven't entered, the
contest closes on Thursday and we'll announce our winner on next Monday's
show.  This hour's highlight: Christoph Eschenbach conducting the Houston
Symphony in music from Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 3: the first
movement, which Mahler once called "Summer Marches In."

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Tuesday, JULY 3

Hour 1 -- Respighi through stained glass: From a recent concert
performance we'll hear conductor JoAnn Falletta and the Buffalo
Philharmonic perform Ottorino Respighi's "Church Windows." And we'll track
down the Emerson String Quartet in Portland, playing music by Haydn.

Hour 2 -- Scotland through the eyes of Felix Mendelssohn: We'll
travel to Portland, Oregon this hour to hear the Oregon Symphony perform
Mendelssohn's "Scottish" Symphony.  Young Turkish pianist Fazil Say is also
in Portland to play Haydn.

Wednesday, JULY 4

Hour 1 -- Our All-American music hour includes a performance of Frederick
Converse's tone poem "The Mystic Trumpeter." JoAnn Falletta conducts the
Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.  We'll also hear the United States Marine
Band play music by Copland and Ron Nelson, and pianist Leon Bates plays
music by Nathaniel Dett.

Hour 2 -- Independence Day with Hudson Shad in NPR's Studio 4A: We'll hear
musical Americana from the men of Hudson Shad.  This world-renowned vocal
ensemble joins Fred in Studio 4A for patriotic hymns, war songs and
spirituals.

KORVA COLEMAN IS HOST

Thursday, JULY 5

Hour 1 -- Korva is studio host and Fred Child is on location at the Grand
Teton Music Festival in Wyoming.  Fred introduces highlights from the
festival's Fourth of July celebration.

Hour 2 -- Basic Prokofiev: Ted Libbey joins Korva to recommend three
top-notch recordings of Sergei Prokofiev's ballet "Romeo and Juliet" for
the Performance Today Basic Record Library.

Friday, JULY 6

Hour 1 -- Mostly Mozart: The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra plays Mozart's
"Jupiter" Symphony at Meyerhoff Symphony Hall.  And distinguished pianist
Alfred Brendel plays a Mozart Adagio in Michigan.

Hour 2 -- He was a piano manufacturer and music publisher but he also wrote
music.  The Shanghai String Quartet teams up with flutist Eugenia Zukerman
for a quintet by Ignaz Pleyel.

A PEEK AT NEXT WEEK

Monday, JULY 9

And the winner is...: This morning, PT weekday host Fred Child will
announce the winner of the Midsummer Music Contest from the Grand Teton
Music Festival.  The winner of the contest and a guest will spend a week
at next year's festival.  Tune in...you may be the lucky winner!

All week long, we'll present you with fresh concert tape from this year's
summer music festivals, now in progress!

CHECK OUT THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE!!: Enter our Midsummer Music
Contest....  Listen to an interview with conductor Sir Colin Davis....Read
and listen to Jan Swafford's commentary on Mr. and Mrs. Ives....  Check
out our extensive coverage of the Van Cliburn Competition....  Come to term
with Miles Hoffman and auditions....Order your copy of "Peter and the Wolf:
A Special Report." You'll find it all at http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/.

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.