From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:41:58 -0500
Finally, some of JdP's (*and* Celibidache's) vaulted recordings are being
released!  This is a collection of live recordings:

TELDEC 8573-85340-2
Jacqueline du Pre:
Saint-Saens Cello Concerto #1, op. 33 - Barenboim - The Philadelphia
Orchestra - 1971;
Dvorak Cello Concerto, op. 104 - Celibidache - Swedish Radio Symphony
Orchestra - 1967

I now have an inkling of what it would have been like to hear her playing
LIVE.  The Saint-Saens, which she had played so many times, here seems to
be asserting her life force, although she was already beginning to feel the
beginnings of her disease.  I am always amazed (yes, always!) at her power
and at her tenderness -- there are times when you can hear a pin drop and
her bow seems to barely be moving, the music whispering.

The Dvorak!  I am so familiar with her later recording with Barenboim, that
I was absolutely amazed at how different this live recording is!  Here she
is in 1967, at the height of her "stardom" -- full of life, power, daring
and sexuality.  There are times when the cello seems to become quite
intimate and sensuous.  (Here she is using the famous Davidoff!) There are
other times when she seems to be howling with joy.  I know that music, but
she is telling it to me for the first time.  Celibidache -- what a master
at playing into her poetry, while all the while interpreting the score with
such artistic vision that he makes it his own as well.  What I wouldn't do
to experience both of them LIVE!

I couldn't help comparing the two Dvorak recordings.  In this one she is so
young and full of what youth overflows with...  There is much tenderness,
joy, beauty for its own sake...  In the later studio recording, (1971)
there is sadness, anger, beauty (in the words of Rilke) as "the beginning
of terror".

Oh, I hope there is more to come.  I hope that Mr. Barenboim opens the
vaults and lets those of us never blessed with hearing her live at least
do so vicariously.  The world needs more of her music.

Miguel Muelle
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com