From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:53:18 -0500
Steve Schwartz writes in reference to Bach's Four Duets:

>Tureck is one of the only pianists I know to have recorded these works.

Actually, I find the Four Duets to be recorded with decent frequency by
pianists.  There's Koroliov, Schepkin, Nikolayeva, Hewitt, and Peter Serkin
off the top of my head, and there must be more.

Referring to Tureck's Italian Concerto, Steve writes:

>Basically, I object to her not recognizing the fun of the work.  She wears
>a very earnest face here.  The first movement moves to a too-stately tread,
>although the 16th-note runs are light enough.  On the other hand, she
>brings back treasures from the deep in the second
>movement, more than any other performer I know.

Steve has just the oppposite of my perceptions about Tureck's Italian
Overture in that I love her first movement but consider the second to be
too dramatic in the middle section with poor integration with the remainder
of the movement.  Please keep in mind that "fun" is not what appeals to me
in music, since it is an alien element to my chemistry.  You won't find
P.D.Q.  anywhere in my house.

Don Satz