From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 23:02:16 +0200
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Somehow, the narrator has ingratiated himself w/ the girl and her mother;
>he even gets to stay in their house, which he leaves by stealth.  Why don't
>we read this as the tale of a would-be Don Juan, who has had his way w/
>the girl after securing the approval of the mother, leading them both to
>believe his intentions were honorable, after which, not really wanting to
>face up to his responsibilities, he sneaks out of the house in the dead of
>night, and feels sorry for himself, not the girl, for 23 more Lieder?

Well, we only have the guy's half of the story.  He tells us (in Die
Wetterfahne) that he has been shunned because some other guy promises to
be a wealthier son-in-law.  And besides, I don't think that a woud-be Don
Juan would act so deeply wounded, so far from self-pity.  Yes, I think
there is not self-pity in this song cycle but the most profound depression
and helplessness.  The poor guy cannot think of another girl, another love,
another chance to be happy.  It is all or nothing.  Strange, indeed.  Very
German...

Robert Peters