From:
Heng Soong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:20:00 +0800
Dave Lampson posted some information on the Gramophone 2000 awards,
which included the news that "Sir Simon Rattle picked up three awards
(Orchestral, Opera and Record of the Year)" and that his recording
of Mahler's Tenth with the BPO on EMI has been voted both best in the
orchestral category and also the record of the year.  Normally this (i.e.
Gramophone's recommendations, especially their yearly awards) would have
caused me to rush out either to Tower or HMV to buy the CD. However,
since joining this august list some months back and after having read
some acerbic comments from a few stalwarts on this list about Gramophone
reviewers' taste (or lack of it?), especially from the Yanks (is this a
Brits-versus-Yanks thing?), and also after having read all the other
threads on recordings of Mahler's symphonies, I am inclined to wait a
little longer before making my buying decision on this disc.  So, could
I have the comments of fellow members of this list who have heard the
recording as to whether it is worth the hoopla?

Thank you and regards,

Heng Soong
Singapore