From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:24:16 -0500
Reading Schwartzo's recent piece about George Szell helped me understand
better a recent experience I had with his music.  For Christmas I received
the Sony Masterworks Heritage Disc (63151) of Dvorak's Symphonies 7, 8 and
9.  (It also includes the Carnival Overture and Smetana'a Overture to the
Bartered Bride and Quartet in e minor.)

For some reason I asked for it despite the fact that I already had a
Naxos recording of the 8th (550269) and von Karajan's DG recording of
the 9th (2894232062).  Now, my collecting obsession is recent enough that
duplications works are rare--although getting far more common to the dismay
of my wife who can't understand why anyone would need to have two discs of
the "same" music.  Well, that's another thread.

Anyway, my experience with this disc should prove the point to her (though
it won't!), and I intend to do an A/B screening for her some time.  I had
listened to the 8th several times trying without success to understand why
writers were so enthusiastic about it.  My first listening to the Szell
changed that in a hurry!

As to the 9th.:  Certainly it is a favorite.  But Karajan's reading always
seemed heavy and, dare I say "bombastic." Of course with nothing to compare
it to except radio broadcasts, I didn't know what I was missing.  I think
both symphonies, but especially parts of the ninth, illustrated what Steve
was talking about in citing Szell's use of the orchestra as chamber
ensembles.

When the "Going Home" theme was playing my wife even got up from her
reading to walk over and check out the CD cover--which is virtually
unprecedented for her!

The background information in Steve's review was very helpful.  Now I'm
eager to know:  what are other great Szell recordings? And are there
dissenters on the list?

Ed (eager to feed his collecting obsession in the new year.)