From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:35:29 GMT
Ralf Oehlmann writes:

>I listened to Tureck's 50's mono version today and enjoyed it very much.
>Searching for a stereo recording I would like to know who plays
>it in her style? Did she record a complete WTC again?

I'm not aware of any other WTC by Tureck.  But, since she recently recorded
the Goldberg Variations, there's always the hope she'll go back to the
studio for the WTC.

As far as who plays in Trueck's style, there's not any good answer for
that.  Her style is her own, and I know of nobody else who sounds like her.
But, if an answer is needed, I'd go with Nikolayeva - she is slow paced,
but not as slow as Tureck, and she is very good, but nowhere as good as
Tureck.  Nikoilayeva's WTC is on a label called "MK"; that's short for
something but I don't remember what.  There's probably at least a 50-50
chance it's no longer in print.

I'd like to make a suggestion.  I uunderstand the desire to have a great
stereo recording of Tureck or a Tureck sound-alike.  But I don't think
that's going to happen.  Instead, why not try a very different type of WTC,
one that could *add* to the insights and rewards you've already received
from the Tureck set.  Assuming you want a version with excellent sound
to offset that sound that Tureck suffers, check out the Hewitt set on
Hyperion.  She is relatively mainstream, and her interpretations are
usually quite different from Tureck's.  Her set has received much praise,
and I rated it very well in the piano survey I did a couple of months ago.

Overall, most of the great WTC's don't have wonderful sound:  Richter,
Feinberg, Gulda, and Horszowski.  My mouth is watering just thinking about
these great versions and many others as well.  A dedicated, true-blue, and
well financed WTC lover has to have them all; I know of no other way to get
the best of Bach unless I could play them superbly on my own.  But I've
been working on the C major from Book I for years now, and I still stink.
I use the Jarrett approach, seamless and dreamy.  Yet, I sound like Gould
on valium.

Don Satz