From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:03:56 -0400
Virginia Knight outs herself:

>I'm a keen singer of choral music, both sacred and secular, usually in
>small ensembles.

I might as well out myself.  My name is Steve, and I'm a choral singer.
I've recently joined a small choir in New Orleans, Louisiana, after about
15 years of not bothering to sing in choirs.  Unlike several places in the
UK, New Orleans isn't exactly steeped in a classical choral tradition,
although it has many really good gospel choirs (Mahalia Jackson came from
here).  I finally realized that I haven't got many years left to sing, and
that I can't afford to wait for the next Robert Shaw to snap me up.  So I'm
singing.

For me, as a string quartet's bedrock repertoire is Haydn, the choir's
mainstay is the a cappella music of the Renaissance.  This music develops
almost all the skills necessary.  I think a cappella singing more
"hard-core" than accompanied singing, with the exception of Bach's music.

I'd been working on an annotated list of great choral works, but it seems
to have disappeared in a hard-disk crash.  Sorry.

Steve Schwartz