From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:10:22 -0500
Greg Conn replies to me:

>>Now I happen to believe that Brahms does every facet of composition
>>as well as I can imagine it done and that Haydn has at least 5 astonishing
>>ideas on every page of his music,but I don't know how in heaven's name
>>to compare meaningfully either of their music to that of Arnold Rosner,
>>Benjamin Lees, Elliott Carter, or Milton Babbitt - to name four quite
>>different contemporary composers.
>
>Good heavens Steve!  Surely you cannot be serious in suggesting that Arnold
>Rosner is in the same league as Brahms or that Milton Babbitt is in the
>same league as Haydn.

Why not? I can certainly say I like their music as much, even though the
musical idioms of all four differ from one another.  As far as technique
goes, I don't see that Brahms or Haydn are clearly superior to Rosner and
Babbitt.  In fact, I could even argue (although my heart wouldn't be in it)
that modern technique is superior to earlier because of its greater
complexity.  I guess I don't know what you mean by "in the same league,"
unless it's just another phrase for "I prefer this to that." That's
perfectly reasonable, but "in the same league" implies a standard of
judgment in some way or other external to you.  Furthermore, it should be
a standard better than "me and the people who agree with me," because I
could line up others on my side.  It should also be a standard better than
"more people on my side than yours," because then it's a matter of crude
numbers and Mariah Carey outsells Bach.

>Following your line of reasoning that you "don't know how to meaningfully
>compare...their music" would you also consider Elliot Carter to be on a
>par with Beethoven?

I have no idea what you mean by "on a par."  See above.

What bothers me about this really is the apparent need to say that your
likes and the hierarchy derived from it are objectively justifiable.  James
Caan, talking about the American movie master Howard Hawks, said that he
learned from Hawks to say, "This is a good steak; that isn't.  This is a
good-looking girl; that girl isn't." Well, as much as I admire Hawks's
films, I find that view of life pretty limited.  As far as music goes,
you're asking me essentially to choose between Beethoven and Carter.  Why
should I? I like them both, and I like them for different reasons - not
surprising, because their music is different.  Here's your question
expanded: Do you really believe Dante in Shakespeare's league? Do you
believe Shakespeare as good as Sophocles? Is Sophocles in the same league
as Homer? Is Yeats on a par with Tolstoy? Is Vizquel a better shortstop
than Ozzie Smith? Can Superman beat up the Incredible Hulk? Who's king of
the mountain?

Steve Schwartz