From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 07:15:54 -0700
Charles Dalmas reports:

>I had one girl ask me during a study of Beethoven how a dog could write
>music.  I am not kidding.

This girl has carried this thread into an interesting area.  Are the
"songs" of hump-back whales and other cetaceans classifiable as music?
And, if so, where do they belong in the spectrum of Classical-to-Popular?
(Someone, of course, will suggest that they belong in the category of
"World Music".)

In this connection, recall that an elephant at a zoo (in Arizona IIRC)
made sketches of sufficient artistic quality that Villem de Kooning, to
whom they were sent, was impressed.  The zoo authorities did not bias De
Kooning by informing him of the artist's address, gender, or species.

Best wishes///

Jon Gallant