From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 07:19:50 AM
Jeff Tedford:

>beauty...Now if someone will help me with the Musical Offering, The Art
>of The Fugue, The English Suites and French Suites, I'll be grateful.

If you like Bach on piano, there is a two CD set by Nikolaeva on Hyperion
of the Art of Fugue and the two keyboard ricercare from Musical offering;
great recording overall.  There is abudget CD of Rosen's recording of AoF
on Sony, but it's not as good as Nikolaeva, and it's coupled with Tureck
performances of a bunch of oddball Bach (and some probably not Bach)
keyboard miniatures which you may not wish to have at this point.
Leonhardt's AoF on harpsichord is also excellent (and it's cheap), so are
string quartet versions by Juilliard (Sony) and Keller (ECM) quartets.
There is an exhilarating HIP AoF using various instruments by Reinhard
Goebbel on DG Archiv (should be cheap too).

For the complete Musical Offering you can't go wrong with the Ensemble
Sonnerie recording on Virgin Veritas.

For the english and french suites, I'd say Gould and/or Schiff on piano.
Others would be able to recommend good harpsichord recordings.

BTW, I assume you already have the Well Tempered Clavier (if not how can
you live without it)?

Ulvi