From:
Philippa Greenwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:03:32 +0100
Strauss waltzes have come up in some of the post.

This reminds me of the New Year's Concert in Vienna.  It is a collection
of Strauss Waltzes and Polkas which are performed in the Musiekverien
concert hall.  (They are transmitted to TV stations world-wide)

I never thought I could manage listening to an entire concert of these
works but was very surprised to say that I have become a dedicated follower
of the concerts.  Zubin Mehta is a particularly good conductor and he adds
his own charm to the concert.

I have been on three trips to Vienna so far and on one trip was privileged
to hear a performance of the St Matthew's Passion at the Musiekverien.
This was one of the most memorable concerts of my life.  The conductor was
Helmuth Rilling.

In the different posts that are sent to this mailing list, it is
interesting to see how many times this wonderful work (Matthew's passion)
comes into the discussion.

Philippa