From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 08:15:28 PST
This is just my personal accounting of the greatest composers of piano
concertos in order of preference:

1.  Mozart - Not only did he write so many, but they are all gems.  Nos.
    17 through 24 are masterpieces.  The best by a wide margin.

2.  Beethoven - Five masterful works plus the Choral Fantasia.

3.  Rachmaninoff - Close to Beethoven.  His third is one of my favorites.

4.  Brahms - A distant fourth.

5.  Chopin - I know of the so-called orchestral weaknesses.  But, I
    greatly enjoy both his concertos.

6.  Schumann - Similar to Chopin.

7.  Prokofiev - A distant 7th.

8.  Ravel - Very close to Prokofiev.

9.  Gershwin - The one American.

10. Grieg - Somewhat overrated.

My honorable mentions are Saint-Saens, Bartok, and Hummel.

The two notable no-shows are Liszt and Tchaikovsky.  For me, their
concertos are romantically "over the top."

Don Satz