From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:50:08 -0500
Marcus Maroney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Stirling wrote:
>
>>In the first case - both Mozart and Brahms share a particular working
>>method - creation of the top and botton voices first, and filling in the
>>inner voices later, the only excetpions being at critical turns in the
>>music.
>
>Where exactly do you have reference to both composers' working methods.  If
>this is, as I think it is, an assumption, please some more detail as to how
>you reached this conclusion.

For insight's into Mozart's working method there is a good summary in
Charles Rosen's *The Classical Style*.

For Mozart's assignment's Maunder's text on preparing a new version of the
Requiem has more than adequeate examples,

For the source of bass line writing when he was a student, see Mann's
*Composer as Student*.

For Brahms *very* well known attitude about part writing you can consult
any number of good sources - but I will happily plug Jan Swafford's
*Brahms* as an excellent musical biographies.

Yes, I reached this conclusion, but, it appears, so have many decorated
writers on music.  Since, from experience, I know that some will not listen
to me, please forgive me if I cop out by simply refering to the work of
others.

Stirling S Newberry