From:
Philippa Greenwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:30:09 +0100
The main reason that I can think of for relating the compositional styles
of Brahms and Mozart would be in relation to their concern with form.  In
general, Beethoven sought to stretch the bounds of form as far as he could.
Perhaps,Brahms was not quite as revolutionary in his ideas as Beethoven

Lindsey Orcutt mentioned the connection between Brahms and Bach.  I agree
wholeheartedly.  Brahms favours contrapuntal writing and also develops
themes to an extraordinary level...  this ability is very obvious in Bach's
fugues particularly.

You might have gathered that I have great sympathies with Bach and Brahms.
These two, along with Beethoven and Rachmaninoff are my all-time favourite
composers.

from
Philippa Greenwood