Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:45:42 -0500
From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Tim Mahon wrote about seeking out his old violin chops via:

>...brief sonatas or sonatinas (or similar pieces for keyboard and violin)
>that are a) not too difficult b) tuneful enough to reward study and
>practice...

If I were trying to learn the violin, one of the first pieces I'd want to
get right would be Martinu's 1943 "Five Madrigal Stanzas" for violin and
piano.  It was composed for Albert Einstein, the physicist, whose skills
were pretty basic.  There are some very nice moments in these 11 minutes
of music-making.  He did play it, btw, with Casadesus on the piano.

If I were to reach a decent level of competence later on, I'd start working
on Martinu's wonderful 1930 "Sonatina for 2 violins and piano." (under 13
minutes).

I can't comment about availability of the scores.

Best of luck,

Bert Bailey