Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 14:51:43 -0500
From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Phillips has issued a cd with two song cycles wrotten by Ernst Krenek
around 1930.  The major item is a very personal Notebook of a Journey
Through the Austrian Alps, based on his own texts, and his own journey.

If you love lieder I think that you will love this work.  The spirit of
Schubert hovers over this music, particularly at the opening song.  But
what is most remarkable about this music is the seamless integration of the
old and the new in a beautiful, expressive, and compelling musical fabric.
It is predominantly tonal, and maybe even a bit late 19th century- but
there is also some light music mixed in, and more than a little subtle
dissonance.

The singer is the excellent Thomas Holzmair and the pianist, whose name
alludes me (sorry, pianists) plays an accompaniment which is adventurous
in its own right.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University