Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:38:15 +1000
From:
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Robin Mitchell-Boyask reports enthusiastically:

>Daniel Harding made an extremely auspicious debut with the Philadelphia
>Orchestra this afternoon.
>
>In short, wow!

We had Daniel Harding here in Brisbane on 16th and 17th June this year.
I have no argument at all with Robin's enthusiasm.

He conducted a programme of Brett Dean, a local-born violist/composer who
in 1985 became a permanent member of the BPO, (and, for all I know, still
is - in 1995 he was soloist with them under Claudio Abbado), Bartok and
Berlioz.  The performances were stunning.  We do tend to expect this from
our local band.

Brett Dean played the solo in Berlioz' "Harold in Italy", and in the Bartok
sat with the ripieno as an "ordinary" violist.  A local boy who has made
very good.

Tonight is Tuomas Ollila and Stephanie McCallum playing Adams, Sibelius
Kats-Chernin and Tchaikovsky.  Must hurry!

Alan Dudley