From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 20:21:33 +0200
> > used.  A quick glance reveals that the ratio varies from around 15:1 to
> > infinity:1.  Several hive groups that gave zero results from sugar shake
> > subsequently yielded mites in the hundreds.
>
> If indeed these were accurate counts, this would prove to me just how
> unreliable and basically useless the sugar roll test is. I can get a more
> reliable test just by opening a few drone cells.

We know the amount of young brood in a hive will vary from time to time. Some bees are
shutting down the queens egg laying when there is less nectar and pollen coming in, even
during spring build up. When there is less cells with young larvae for the mites to enter,
I believe we will find a larger percentage of mites on adult bees instead of hidden in
cells. The ratio between brood and adult bees will vary considerably over the season, and
so will undoubtedly the ratio between mites in cells and on bees.

This will make any test running over less than a brood cycle uncertain. It will give a
hint of the situation in the hive, but can't be used for any closer evaluations.

Don't ask me for any proofs, just trying to be logic........

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
[log in to unmask]  http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/