HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Trish Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:04:07 -0800
There is a place about 1/2 way between Placerville and South Lake Tahoe
called Ice House which was named, appropriately, for an ice house
constructed and run by a Placerville businessman named John Pearson in the
1850s.  He supplied ice for much of Placerville from this location until
about 1880.  I don't know if the structure is standing anymore - i doubt it,
but it's a shot.  I do believe, however, that there are photos of the
structure at the El Dorado County Historical Museum, or through one of the
descendants who is living in Bakersfield.  If you are interested in
contacting the descendant, let me know.

You can start by contacting Judy Rood, who is the archaeologist for one of
the districts on the Eldorado. Her number is 530-647-5326.  She can give you
the number to the archaeologist whose district Ice House (there is a lake
there, the center for a recreation area) is in and could refer you to the
rest of the Tahoe area archaeologist for other possible sites as well.  Good
luck.  I'd like to know what you find.