From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:33:02 -0700
John Smyth wrote:

>I'm looking for a good set of Bach's Violin Sonatas.

My favorite recording of the Bach violin/harpsichord sonatas is on DHM with
Kuijken/Leonhardt.  I remember thinking it sounded a bit harsh the first
time I heard it but I have grown to love it more than any other version.

>I am interested in a good Art of the Fugue, though probably an instrumental
>version.

I've heard many different versions and only two have really made an impact
on me.  One was performed by a woodwind ensemble and I remember how it
really stirred me inside hearing it come to an end.  Unfortunately, this
does little good because I cannot remember who performed it and I haven't
been able to locate the recording.  The other performance is by the
Juilliard String Quartet.  This is my favorite performance of what may
be my favorite work of all next to the B minor mass.  The quartet had a
special viola made, just for the recording, which has an extended range
allowing the performers to avoid any transpositions.  It truly is a
fantastic performance in my opinion.  The recording is on the Sony label
(S2K 45937)

Wes Crone ([log in to unmask])