From:
William Strother <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 13:10:21 -0700
A few days ago I found a box of Klemperer's Beethoven symphonies at a price
I couldn't refuse.  And I already had the 9th, and the overtures.  It is
a lovely set at fine sound.  It goes on the shelves with the Walter, l939
and 1950s Toscanini, 1962-3 Karajan and a lot of newer (and some older)CDs,
plus assorted LPs.  In other words, I didn't really need it.  Yet it gives
me much satisfaction.  I also have the mono Eroica.

In 1953 I saw him conduct the 9th, in L.A.  in the Hollywood Bowl!  The
only time I saw him.  He hobbled in on crutches, seated himself, and became
the gigantic interpreter of legend.  Absolutely no-nonsense attitude.  I
had never heard the scherzo done so slowly.  It startled me at first, but
not for long.  The CD is very much what I heard there, but those were the
days when the LA Phil favored English translations.  It was strange to hear
English words instead of Schiller's German.  And remember that Klemperer
had been the music director of that orchestra for several years before WW
II.

Bill S