HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lucy Amorosi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:03:41 +1000
I'm looking for any previous excavation reports or information from anyone
who has excavated sealed deposits of preserving jars, that is, purposely
buried for later retrieval.  Jars buried in garden beds are of particular
interest.  I am also wondering if anyone knows where to get contents of
preserving jars identified.

The type I have found buried are fruit preserving jars of the Mason type,
described below.

1)      Clear green glass jar with screw top lid and porcelain lid insert.
Approximately 20 centimetres in height. The embossed wording on the jar is
[MASON'S PATENT NOV 30TH 1858] between the words Masons and Patent is the
Consolidated Fruit Jar Company symbol.  The base of the jar has [P9] on it.
[C201] is embossed on the base of the jar.  The porcelain lid insert has the
CFJCo symbol in the interior centre and [Consolidated Fruit Jar Company New
York] around the interior rim. The number [4] is on the exterior surface of
the porcelain (ie, the surface facing the metal screw top lid.

2)      Clear green glass jar with screw top (no lid associated), broken
rim. Approximately 20 centimetres in height. On one side of the jar is the
embossed wording [MASON'S PORCELAIN LINED] and [McLEAN BROS & RIGG] embossed
on the other.  [P9] is embossed on the base of the jar.

Lucy Amorosi
Cultural Heritage Group

Biosis Research Pty Ltd
322 Bay Street (PO Box 489)