HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:16:05 -0400
No, it's not our position. It's the position of the Congress. Moreover, it
wasn't just a safety issue, it also considered the quality of life of our
Armed Forces personnel. Let's not forget the lead-based paint and asbestos
issues, the lack of appropriate plumbing, and the lack of space. Moreover, a
full HABS/HAER documentation was done for the 700 and 800 series buildings.
Apparently the NCSHPO and the ACHP felt that was sufficient and signed a
nationwide MOA for their demolition. Independently, the services have
preserved many of these buildings and manage them well. BTW, if you're
looking for WWI cantonments, there are few remaining. They were far less
well constructed, in most cases, and were destoryed almost immediately after
the armisitice.

John Dendy