HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gronenborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:56:47 +0100
At 19:56 13.03.01 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi
>I'm looking for anything on colonial archaeology of West Africa. especially
>Cameroon and French Equatorial Africa (Chad). I have had no luck finding
>anything at all- to be honest I'm not even sure where to start looking

The Germans left Cameroon in 1916 and sought refuge in Equatorial Guinea.
Cameroon was devided among the British and the French. Military resistence
was restricted to a few hillforts, which btw., are still perfectly
preserved and await archaeologcal examination.

What comes to my mind for Ghana and Benin is:

DeCorse, Christopher R.
1998
The Europeans in West Africa: culture contact, continuity and change.
In: Graham Connah (ed.), Essays on Africa's Later Past. Leicester
University Press (London/Washington 1998) 219-244.

DeCorse, Chr. R.
1993
The Danes on the Gold Coast: culture change and the European presence.
African Arch. Rev. 11, 1993, 149-173.

Kelly, K. G.
1997
Using historically informed archaeology: Seventeenth and eighteenth century
Hueda/European interaction on the Coast of Bénin.
Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory Vol. 4, Nos. 3/4, 1997, 353-366.

Kelly, Kenneth G.
1997
Slave trade in Africa.
In: Joseph O. Vogel (ed.), Encyclopedia of Precolonial Africa. Archaeology,
History, Languages, Cultures, and Environments. Altamira (Walnut Creek
1997) 532-535.

Van Dantzig, A.
1980
Forts and Castles of Ghana.
Sedco (Accra 1980).

For northern Cameroon check:

Gronenborn, D.
Magnavita, C.
2000
Imperial expansion, ethnic change, and ceramic traditions in the southern
Chad Basin: a terminal nineteenth-century pottery assemblage from Dikwa,
Borno State, Nigeria.
International Journal of Historical Archaeology 4(1), 2000, 35-70.

This will be out shortly:

Gronenborn, D.
in press
Kanem-Borno. A brief summary of the history and archaeology of an empire in
the Central bilād-al-sūdan.
In: Chr. DeCorse (ed.), West Africa during the Atlantic Slave Trade:
Archaeological Perspectives. Leicester University Press (in press).

Hope this helps. I have 233 entries in my database which are related to the
subject but are mostly colonial reports and many of them in German. But I
can send you the list.

best regards

D. Gronenborn

(Dr. Detlef Gronenborn)