HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 05:52:29 -0500
It is pretty well-documented that 2nd hand markets for ceramics existed in
at least larger eastern cities in the US.

One archaeological reflection of this was seen in excavation of an
African-American "courtyard" community in Philadelphia built in the 1840s,
the ceramics from which largely dated from the 1820s and eariler.

One interesting aspect of the ceramic market in Phildelphia was fueled by
the city's regulation of the depths of privies starting in the 1760s.
Privies were apparently brought into complance by filling with ceramic and
glass wares to the appropriate depth.  This seems to have lead to a practice
of placing  what are termed "perculation" fill deposits that continued into
the middle of the 19th C.  These deposits include many hundreds of broken,
new and used, older materials.

When I first read about these deposits in the Franklin Court archaeology
reports, long ago when I was just a young archaeologist, I joked about the
"privy fill store."  But having recovered over 800 vessels from a single
feature, I recognized that just such a market must have existed in some
form.

John

John P. McCarthy, RPA
Annapolis, MD 21401